Monday, October 13, 2008

Neck warmer or Cowl

My current project is so simple that I thought just to cast on without reference to any patterns. So far I have cast on 130 stitches on a size 8 circular needles and a simple knit one purl one rib. The yarn was bought for sock yarn -this was the Birch yarn (merino & bamboo blend) that I had bought from Celtic Memory Yarn - but it is far too pretty and I just couldn't see it being hidden by shoes, so a cowl came to mind. I'm not sure if I have cast on enough stitches and will have to wait and see how it turns out. I really wanted to photograph this outdoors, but the Santa Ana's are howling outside and just blew down our gate, I can hear things being blown about, so this is the only photo I could get and the flash does wash out the color a bit.




This is the last month for the Farmers Market, the crowds have thinned, but the produce still looks pretty good. The tomatoes were ripe and you could tell that they had just been harvested as the stems were so fresh. There were huge dark Haas avocados right behind, but they were camera shy and their photos did not turn out.



The jalapenos had a jewel like quality and glistened, their spicy aroma filled the warm air.







The peaches sweet fragrance perfumed the air, enticing you to come and buy them. They are probably the last of the season.






The veggies were holding up surprisingly well in the heat (the Farmer's Market starts at 5pm and the temperature was about 90 degrees)



A spontaneous Friday Night - you make plans that go astray and are replaced by the something special. As we strolled down the street intending to go the movies we came across a fellow playing the guitar at an outdoor cafe. You could tell he loved what he was doing and that made us stop and we began to listen to him play Croce, the Beatles and lots of other songs from the 60's & 70's. I couldn't recommend the latte or the pastry, but the performance was worth the tasteless items that this cafe served. I didn't get a photo as it seemed I thought it would disrupt this magical moment.

11 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

130 stitches sounds about right to me. Loved all the photos of the fresh fruit and vegetables. Makes me hungry. :)

Romi said...

The fruit looks wonderful! Love the Farmer's Market. :)

Artis-Anne said...

I too am busy making cowls as they are a quick knit for Christmas gifts and show a yummy yarn off don't they ?
Love the market photos. We have a Farmers Market here too and I love getting local produce that are just so fresh

elizabeth said...

What a lovely post with the veggies and Friday night description. You have a beautiful way with words.

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Oh the yarn must be delighted to be in a cowl! I always have difficulty working out the right number of stitches so that the result isn't too loose (thereby drooping down around the shoulders instead of warming the neck) or too tight (can't even get it over the head!) Must be some rule of thumb (of neck?) one can apply.

Your pictures from the farmers' market make me jealous!

cathleen said...

Those are some yummy fruit and veggie photos.

Allison said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love all the vegetable photos on yours. Looking forward to seeing the cowl finished.

Goosey said...

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, I have enjoyed looking at yours this morning. The vegetable and fruit pictures are wonderful, the colours in the natural world are so lovely.My friend has grown some really nice tasting tomatos this year called 'Ruby' really sweet and tasty. BW Goosey

smariek said...

That looks like A LOT of stitches on your needle! I've never figured out how to knit in the round on one circular needle since I learned how to do it with 2 circs.

Those tomatoes and peaches look so yummy! I miss going to the Farmers Market at the (San Francisco) Ferry Building, I used to walk over there from work. Nothing beats fresh locally grown produce.

gilraen said...

Wonderful pictures of wonderful looking produce!!!

Heather said...

This is a gorgeous cowl. Beautiful colors.